Saturday, August 2, 2008

Supper Club Six Plus One--Blue Grotto

Maggie was our host in June and graciously chose a restaurant closer to the majority of us -- right near my house!  The Blue Grotto in Brookside opened in May.  It boasts the longest Bar--I've now bellied up to that bar two or three times.  My friend Susan, in town from Lincoln, joined us bringing our Supper Club to seven for the evening. 

We met early for drinks at the bar and Maggie grabbed the tab--I should have ordered more!!  

First, let me describe the location.  The space used to be a sock store.   I probably walked past the store front a hundred times without noticing it but now there is a trendy storefront that catches your eye.  When you walk in,  you step into a very urban and hip bar that you would expect to find in the Power and Light District but not in Brookside.  It definitely fills a need.  On the wall behind the bar are extremely original and tall wine racks.  The bar leads into a dining area in the back with the brick pizza oven in the center of the restaurant and stairs leading to more seating in a loft area.  We sat upstairs. 

The one downside is that it was extremely hot upstairs.  We were getting all the heat off of the oven.  Baby don't like being in a corner but Baby don't like being hot even worse--so I was a tad uncomfortable.   I've gone back and I avoid sitting above the oven.  I'm not sure if they have corrected this issue yet.  

The antipasto platter was superb.   In order to get a sampling of many things on the menu, we ordered three or four pizzas, a couple salads and appetizers.  A couple of the Six thought the pizza was okay but were not wowed by any means.   The pizza is simple and fairly priced.   I tend to have a lower expectations given I'm not a huge pizza fan but I've gone back a couple times and definitely will continue to go.  I enjoy meeting there for drinks and it is a great alternative to other places in Brookside.   Janel
 


No comments: