Monday, December 29, 2008

What's Old is New Again


The Supper Club Six made it through a full rotation of restaurants  and it was time for me to make my second selection.   If you recall, I hosted the inaugural Supper Club Six.  Fear, anxiety and dread fell upon me as I scoured the Internet looking for possibilities.   I wanted to avoid another Vinino's disaster.  Do I go new?  Do I go old?  Finally, I settled on the Delaware Cafe.   Although this River Market restaurant has been around for years, this Spring it began serving dinner under the hands of a new young chef. 

The space is very urban with the exposed brick and high ceilings.  We were seated in the side dining room but I would have preferred to sit in the main room with the bar as that really had a more lively atmosphere.   We were down one as Kim was in Wisconsin for the weekend.  True to our M.O. we ordered up some drinks first and the martini's were a hit.  The wine flowed as well.  Our waiter had the unfortunate problem of constantly running into the screen door collapsed against the wall behind our table.   He seemed genuinely shocked ever time he ran into it.  He was attentive and friendly even supplying Kathryn with a smoke on the patio when she correctly took him for a smoker.  

The table shared a Mac N Cheese appetizer.  We may have ordered a second one I can't recall but it was a divine combination of  fusilli, fontina, white truffle, and bread crumbs.  As you can see from the picture, Kathryn made sure she got her fair share by licking the bowl.  A couple of us ordered the cider brined chicken breast and a couple had the scallops.   Although the group had mixed opinions (don't we always?), in general we found it a fine meal.   No rave reviews but no real complaints.  I would go back but would definitely sit in the bar area.   

The evening was fun.  The conversation . . . well, risque--right Maggie?  Although we did not get our meal for free this time (the only redeeming part of my first selection),  we had a pleasant meal and it is nice to have another option for dinner in the River Market.   --JMF
 

No comments: